Skip to main content

broken system

My mom ran into my high school English teacher a couple summers ago and told him I was studying to be a teacher.  He said, "tell her to get out while she can, she will hate it."  He was one of the best teachers I ever had and ignited my love of classic literature.  I was taken aback to say the least.  What could possibly be so awful about helping young people reach their fullest potential?  What kind of sociopath would hate that?

Four years later, I'm starting to understand.  When a surgeon walks into the ER, everyone trusts that he knows what he is doing, that he knows what he is talking about, and that he will take care of you.  He has studied, he has trained, he has practiced, he has this job for a reason.  It would make sense for any occupation that requires a years of study, training, and practice would come with some element of trust.  Wrong.  Now, I know I am not considered a veteran teacher, I realize I have much to learn and I will never stop growing in this field.  However, in my two years of teaching, I have seen teachers mistreated, mistrusted, and walked all over by parents and by administration. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a victim.

The one thing I always come back to is trust.  Why don't you trust that we know what we're doing and just let us do it?  It's like we are constantly met with the assumption that every teacher wants to take the easy way out, that we don't put in countless hours on the weekends and after school.   It's sad really, to go through life just expecting the worst in people and only seeing their flaws, especially the people who are supposed to be your teammates.  Now I'm starting to get it..."tell her to get out while she can."  Everything comes from the top down in public schools.  Whether it's a politician or a principal.  Teachers do not make the decisions.  BUT  we are the ones held responsible if the decisions don't work or have flaws, or don't magically fix the United States' failing education system.  I digress.

My point is, we worked hard, unbelievably hard to become teachers.  We did not choose this career because of the money or the benefits.  Trust that we know what we're doing.  I am not by any means claiming that some degree of accountability is not necessary to ensure that schools are employing highly qualified teachers. There's always the reality of a few bad apples, but I have met hundreds of teachers and can only remember one bad apple.  one.

I know I'm young, I know I have a lot to learn, I know that my experience will continue to change.  I know that my words are not perfect.  I do know that new teachers are leaving the field at an alarming rate.  I know that because of this, schools are hiring anyone they can get despite their qualifications.  I know that this leads to suspicion and mistrust.  All of these things create a downward spiral that really makes you wonder why these issues aren't being addressed, it's always the teacher's fault.  I don't have all the answers, I don't think anyone does, but I know that trust in our teachers might go a long way in remedying our broken system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

free

If there is one thing I love more than cute classroom supplies, it's FREE cute classroom supplies.  I am an avid bargain shopper but I also hate anything overdone, or underdone.  I like things to look clean, neat, organized and professional while being fun and interactive (easier said than done right?) I am sure every teacher out there knows about TeachersPayTeachers.com but I just discovered it and I am obsessed .  There are tons of free downloads including posters, fonts, and strategies, and they are all super cute.  You can buy things as well and most of them are pretty cheap, and if you upgrade, you can post and sell resources too.  You can specify grade level, subject area, and price range to search for the strategies so I have been downloading everything I can find.    This is just an example of one of the amazing resources available.  I have been looking into interactive notebooks lately because I've never tried them before...

introduction

This is probably one of the most overdone, overused, ordinary blogs in the whole blogging world.  How many potential dancers/teachers/DIY fanatic/fashion-obsessed/bookworm/mid-western-suburban women in their early twenties decide to take their diary to the web in an all-in-one blog?   Probably a lot.  Of course, I am just another one of those women.   Between figuring out who we are, going to school, living on our own, working, and dealing with the ups and downs of what we call "love," it's hard to believe that these are the best years of our lives.  The truth is, these probably are the best years of our lives.  These ten years and the ten after that and the ten after that. This blog is a combination of everything that makes living in your twenties, or living at all, worth...well...living. Between books, beaches, diamonds, and dresses, reminding ourselves of beauty and  finding the positivity in a mundane, fast-paced world is vi...

beauty

I live in a family of nine; seven children and two parents.  My place in this line is first, leaving me with six younger siblings.  Being the eldest of such a large family, I have felt a sense of responsibility for my siblings from a very young age.  I want them to be happy and healthy in mind, body, and soul. Recently, I have begun to realize what an impossible feat this really is, especially for my sisters.  Maria 14, Melissa -10, and Melena-8 are all growing up in a world where they are demanded to meet impossible standards that are based on physicality.  The definition of beauty that they are learning to model is unrealistic and alarming and as I paged through one of my favorite fashion magazines, I had to come to terms with the problems that this situation poses. Now, more than ever, women are being bombarded with images of perfection: weight standards, hair color, ethnicity, eye color, clothing.  Although the awareness in this...