Skip to main content

beauty

I live in a family of nine; seven children and two parents.  My place in this line is first, leaving me with six younger siblings.  Being the eldest of such a large family, I have felt a sense of responsibility for my siblings from a very young age.  I want them to be happy and healthy in mind, body, and soul.

Recently, I have begun to realize what an impossible feat this really is, especially for my sisters.  Maria 14, Melissa -10, and Melena-8 are all growing up in a world where they are demanded to meet impossible standards that are based on physicality.  The definition of beauty that they are learning to model is unrealistic and alarming and as I paged through one of my favorite fashion magazines, I had to come to terms with the problems that this situation poses.

Now, more than ever, women are being bombarded with images of perfection: weight standards, hair color, ethnicity, eye color, clothing.  Although the awareness in this area is slowly growing, we tend to place emphasis on prejudice in regards to different cultures aka racism.  By no means am I belittling this obviously prevalent problem in our society; I am simply drawing attention to the dangerous effects that our society is having on growing girls.

While the technological advances that we are producing are moving us forward, they are also moving us back.  The problem is that with the internet and smart phones, everyone has access to infinite amounts of information, good and bad, including children.  The problematic perception of girls that is constantly being viewed can be found in hypersexualized music videos in which women are objects.  Their bodies are viewed by the camera in pieces which depersonalizes them.  Makeup ads for anti-aging products scream that wrinkles are unacceptable.  Mannequins, dolls, and Barbies all tell young girls that the only acceptable body type is something completely unattainable.


Even models admit to being photo-shopped and airbrushed to the point of nonrecognition and these are the faces and bodies that are plastered on the covers of magazines.  These are the images that infiltrate every commercial, and television show.  These are the man-made products to which my sisters compare themselves.

To be honest, it scares me to stand by and watch my sisters grow up in a world where the emphasis is not placed on their intelligent minds or loving souls or determination and work ethic. 

I fully believe that a person should only be competing with herself.  If adults can focus on personal improvement and becoming better people rather than constantly striving to reach perfection, then we will be setting important and significant examples for our students, sisters, daughters, and friends.  We must actively work to prove that a women's worth is not based on the way she looks, but on the passion, power, love, strength, thoughts, and ideas that lie under the skin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

free

If there is one thing I love more than cute classroom supplies, it's FREE cute classroom supplies.  I am an avid bargain shopper but I also hate anything overdone, or underdone.  I like things to look clean, neat, organized and professional while being fun and interactive (easier said than done right?) I am sure every teacher out there knows about TeachersPayTeachers.com but I just discovered it and I am obsessed .  There are tons of free downloads including posters, fonts, and strategies, and they are all super cute.  You can buy things as well and most of them are pretty cheap, and if you upgrade, you can post and sell resources too.  You can specify grade level, subject area, and price range to search for the strategies so I have been downloading everything I can find.    This is just an example of one of the amazing resources available.  I have been looking into interactive notebooks lately because I've never tried them before...

introduction

This is probably one of the most overdone, overused, ordinary blogs in the whole blogging world.  How many potential dancers/teachers/DIY fanatic/fashion-obsessed/bookworm/mid-western-suburban women in their early twenties decide to take their diary to the web in an all-in-one blog?   Probably a lot.  Of course, I am just another one of those women.   Between figuring out who we are, going to school, living on our own, working, and dealing with the ups and downs of what we call "love," it's hard to believe that these are the best years of our lives.  The truth is, these probably are the best years of our lives.  These ten years and the ten after that and the ten after that. This blog is a combination of everything that makes living in your twenties, or living at all, worth...well...living. Between books, beaches, diamonds, and dresses, reminding ourselves of beauty and  finding the positivity in a mundane, fast-paced world is vi...