Skip to main content

what happens next?

            "After you turn twenty-two, you have nothing to look forward to."

            "Things are boring after your twenty-second birthday."

     "You really have to start being an adult."

"Now you have to be responsible."

I know I'm not the only one who has heard at least two of these comments before.  And how depressing is it to constantly hear that our life is over, that we are officially "old?"

There are quite a few stages that we pass through to become adult women, and apparently, twenty-one is the "final step."

On our thirteenth birthday, we are considered a teenager and enter the category of "young adult."  We are legally allowed to watch PG-13 movies (FINALLY) and this usually marks some unpleasant biological changes as well (if you catch my drift).

Turning sixteen is the marker of a young girls' coming of age in America.  In Hispanic countries, fifteen is the equivalent, hence Quinceañera.  This birthday is essentially the celebration of being available to date, although my parents refused to celebrate this way....

At eighteen girls officially become women.  At this point, we become adults, graduate high school, apply to college, vote, etc.  This is an exciting year, I think we can all agree.

The twenty-first birthday party is usually a huge blowout with all of our college friends where we take one too many shots, go to the bars, pass out on the floor and embarrass ourselves to celebrate the legal drinking age.  Sounds like a lot of fun right?

But what happens after twenty-one? Does life end?  Is it really that bad?  

I think that turning twenty-two is just as, if not more important than turning thirteen, sixteen, eighteen, and twenty-one.  This birthday should be celebrated as a milestone of discovery, the opening of a door.  I think that once we turn twenty-two, we are just beginning the most exciting part of our lives.  We learn who our real friends are, we have the freedom to love, travel, work, learn, read, think and spend time discovering who we are.  We become women, women who are able to intelligently formulate opinions, think for ourselves, and make a difference. 

Being twenty-two isn't the end, it is just the beginning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

free

If there is one thing I love more than cute classroom supplies, it's FREE cute classroom supplies.  I am an avid bargain shopper but I also hate anything overdone, or underdone.  I like things to look clean, neat, organized and professional while being fun and interactive (easier said than done right?) I am sure every teacher out there knows about TeachersPayTeachers.com but I just discovered it and I am obsessed .  There are tons of free downloads including posters, fonts, and strategies, and they are all super cute.  You can buy things as well and most of them are pretty cheap, and if you upgrade, you can post and sell resources too.  You can specify grade level, subject area, and price range to search for the strategies so I have been downloading everything I can find.    This is just an example of one of the amazing resources available.  I have been looking into interactive notebooks lately because I've never tried them before...

introduction

This is probably one of the most overdone, overused, ordinary blogs in the whole blogging world.  How many potential dancers/teachers/DIY fanatic/fashion-obsessed/bookworm/mid-western-suburban women in their early twenties decide to take their diary to the web in an all-in-one blog?   Probably a lot.  Of course, I am just another one of those women.   Between figuring out who we are, going to school, living on our own, working, and dealing with the ups and downs of what we call "love," it's hard to believe that these are the best years of our lives.  The truth is, these probably are the best years of our lives.  These ten years and the ten after that and the ten after that. This blog is a combination of everything that makes living in your twenties, or living at all, worth...well...living. Between books, beaches, diamonds, and dresses, reminding ourselves of beauty and  finding the positivity in a mundane, fast-paced world is vi...

beauty

I live in a family of nine; seven children and two parents.  My place in this line is first, leaving me with six younger siblings.  Being the eldest of such a large family, I have felt a sense of responsibility for my siblings from a very young age.  I want them to be happy and healthy in mind, body, and soul. Recently, I have begun to realize what an impossible feat this really is, especially for my sisters.  Maria 14, Melissa -10, and Melena-8 are all growing up in a world where they are demanded to meet impossible standards that are based on physicality.  The definition of beauty that they are learning to model is unrealistic and alarming and as I paged through one of my favorite fashion magazines, I had to come to terms with the problems that this situation poses. Now, more than ever, women are being bombarded with images of perfection: weight standards, hair color, ethnicity, eye color, clothing.  Although the awareness in this...