Recently, I was required to read Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth for my American Literature class. The book follows the character Lily Bart, a smart, coy, single woman who is conflicted between her desire for love, and need for money. Essentially, Wharton is writing about society's expectations of women and the lack of opportunity available to them in the 1890s.
That's a lot of words.
During our class discussion of the novel, the theme of happiness came up multiple times. We discussed what the definition of happiness might be and I came to the conclusion that everyone's definition is different. Happiness could mean freedom, independence, love, spirituality, health, family; the list is endless.
It made me start to think about what my person definition of happiness is.
To me, happiness is purpose, or rather, having purpose.
I am happiest when I am changing lives, more specifically when I am teaching.
I am happiest when I am sharing knowledge with my students.
I am happiest when I see my students get excited.
I am happiest when I watch my students do well and be proud of themselves.
I am happiest when I my students work together.
I am happiest when my students create.
I am happiest when my students voice their opinions.
I am happiest when my siblings learn.
I am happiest when I am with my family.
I am happiest when I am writing.
I am happiest when I read.
These are all things that give me purpose. My purpose is to teach and learn, and that is what makes me happy.
Comments
Post a Comment